20 January 2015

Rapunzel and Other Creative Projects

I mentioned before that I wanted to work on a Rapunzel amigurumi and some charity crochet. Well, last week, both missions were accomplished! Then, I started a couple of other projects and made a special cake for Mom's birthday.

Rapunzel

Here she is!


What a cutie! The pattern is by Lisa Jestes. This little doll is about 8 1/2 inches tall and made of worsted weight yarn, polyfill, embroidery thread (lacing and eyelashes), and just a dash of my Bare Minerals blush. The peachy yarn is lightly scented (Lily Sugar n' Cream Chamomile), which I like but I'd probably not use if I were making it for someone allergic to perfume, just in case.



The pattern specified that the bodice would be done in the round, which meant that once the doll is assembled, the dress can't come off. However, it was mentioned that it could also be done in rows. I decided that maybe in the future I might maybe try my hand at making Punzie the wedding dress from the Ever After short, so I opted for the rows. I also added a button and loop. The button was created using a tutorial from Mr. Micawber's Recipe for Happiness. The loop is basically made by slip stitching to a top row, making a number of chain stitches, slip stitching to a lower row, and weaving in all ends.



Once she was done, I decided to accessorize. Of course, Rapunzel needs to be armed with her favorite weapon, a frying pan! Then, I realized that I now know enough to improvise a pattern for the pan (yay!). I'll work on posting a pattern for the pan shortly.

Now that she's armed, she needs her best friend, Pascal. I'm using Peggytoes' Leon the Chameleon pattern (sans comb).


Hat for the Mystery Camper

So, I managed to make my first hat, then immediately gave it away.


It started with a walk with the family dogs. The two little pups love to walk over to this one lawn, then run with me to their favorite tree and smell all the squirrel and gopher holes around it. While watching them do this, I noticed on the other side of the fence a camp in the bushes. I discussed this with my mother, who had been preparing a lesson on Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk "Are We Not All Beggars?"

We decided to defer judgment and to do something to help. Mom collected food and hygiene items and sealed them in a bag and I made the hat above and bagged it as well. We walked together with the dogs and tossed over the fence. Would someone find it? Would they use it?

As it turns out, apparently yes. When we were last at the tree, we could see that while no one is there during the day, they must be there at night--the bags are gone and some of the items have been tucked away for later.


Happy Birthday, Mom!

Speaking of Mom, I made this for her birthday. I used Rock Recipes' lemon velvet cake recipe and added lemon slices dipped in sugar.

Num!


The Venetian Mask

My brother brought back several mask blanks from our family trip to Venice. Since he has a great deal of artistic skill, decorating blanks is a much more affordable way to bring back a piece of Venetian culture than buying a pre-made mask. 

He decided I might want to try my hand at mask design and included one as part of my Christmas gift, along with a gift card for art and craft supplies (new paints and yarn, wheeee!!!!!). I am having fun figuring it all out.

After looking through my photos, I found inspiration for the design of my mask. I'll be using a rich blue instead of the red.

The red, white, and gold mask on the right is my inspiration.

Here is the blank with the design penciled in. Of course, I couldn't use the original design as is because of the shape of the blank, so I had to adjust here and there.



I'm working with my brother to decide on the best way to create raised lines and whether I should put down the raised lines or the background paint first.


No comments:

Post a Comment